The Mounting Medical Waste Problem
posted in Industry News by Marissa Begley
KEEP MEDICAL WASTE OUT OF THE RECYCLING BIN:
- No Lancets, sharps, needles, syringes and other sharp objects (Use the City’s FREE disposal program)
- No Pills and Pharmaceuticals (Use the City’s FREE prescription dropbox)
- No Diapers (Clean OR Dirty)
- No Other Medical Plastic (Gloves, plastic tubing, catheters, speculums, urinals, bath or toilet seats, bedpans, bags, anything that came in contact with bodily fluids)
- No Other non-recyclable Medical Items (Masks, bandages, crutches, sheets, etc)
- No “red bag” or regulated medical waste
Reminder: Not only do recycling employees have to touch it to remove it, but none of these materials are recyclable in the single stream- keep them out!
Refer to SD Administrative Rules for proper handling of medical waste.