Did you know that it’s illegal to throw white good appliances in the trash? Large and small appliances can cause serious problems in the environment if disposed of improperly, and the landfill is not the place for them. Check out the Sioux Falls Garbage and Recycling Ordinance CH 57 for the full list of banned items. Not only are these appliances harmful to the environment, but if kept out of the landfill they can be recycled! But NOT at Millennium.
Where to Recycle:
- The Sioux Falls Regional Landfill will accept them separate from your trash for proper recycling.
- Local scrap recyclers like TJN will accept them – maybe even for some cash back.
- Check with your Waste Hauler if they provide pickup for your appliances, most likely to be recycled at the landfill.
- The EPA’s Energy Star Program also provides a list of special offers and rebates for appliance recycling through manufacturers when you purchase new Energy Star models.
Where to Donate:
- If your appliances are still in good working condition, you can check with local charities like Habitat for Humanity’s Restore. They will gladly accept used appliances if they are still in working order.
Examples of White Goods/Appliances:
- Washing machines
- Clothes dryers
- Hot water heaters
- Air conditioners
- Air Purifiers
- Mini Fridges
- Electric Grills
- Space Heaters
By recycling appliances, there is an opportunity to help the environment and help others in need along the way. Local programs and charitable donations are simple ways to ensure these items are disposed of properly and sent somewhere where they or their parts will be reused.
Have something else you’re not sure about? Use our handy Where Do I Take This tool to search the database of local places you can recycle almost anything! If you don’t see what you’re looking for, just ask us! We love to hear your questions and if it’s not listed in our database, your questions help us add it to the list for others to see.